Thursday, July 31, 2008

Family Devotions

For over the past year, we've been using this book for our family devotion time before bed. It is a very cute book and I really liked how it included a little devotional, verse and prayer for each day. I would say it is appropriate for ages 2-4. We're ready for something different now (at least for Caedmon) since he is getting older. I picked up this book

and really like how it uses real scenarios that kids deal with, but think it's a little too old for Caedmon yet. Our routine before bedtime usually includes a devotional, scripture memorization, prayer time and talking about their day a bit. Sometimes we'll all sit down together as a family for this, or Kevin and I will split up with each child.

I would love to hear what your bedtime routine is for your children...or what you would like to see done if you had children...or what you did when your children were young. I'm looking for some advice here. If you have used a certain book that you really like, please let me know as well. Do you have one big family devotion time, or do you tailor it to fit each individual child?

8 comments:

cheryl said...

I don't have any first hand experience, but it looks like you're doing a good job. They did very well with the verse in the video!

Anonymous said...

sherri
We tried alot of different things, some worked really well, as your children grow you will have to fit into their schdule and be creative. It looks like you are doing great! One thing (with hind sight,)books are great, but read to your children from Gods word, teach them to love, appreciate,and revere the Bible. You did so good with your verse. Very good
love darla

sherri said...

I appreciate this advice SOOO much! Such wonderful wisdom! Thank you!

Ashton said...

SO sweet! We have a bible study book for my younger siblings and they really enjoy it! :o]

Unknown said...

Sherri, We have really fell behind in this area this summer. Thanks for the encouragment to take the time for it. We let ourselves get too busy.

Earlier this spring we used a book called The Jesus Storybook Bible. It is by, Sally Lloyd-Jones. It is a great book that we used for all our children together. With our kids' ages 2,4,6, and 8...it has always been a little bit of a challenge to keep the smaller ones interested in listening for long periods of time. We learned to keep it short, Because we wanted to have devotions as a family.

sherri said...

Heather,
Yes, we've had some late summer nights here recently where it's straight to bed for the kiddos without even brushing their teeth. I know what you mean.

Thanks for the book idea. I'll check it out. I really like the idea of having devotions all together as a family.

Angie Keller said...

With Joe working nights he is unavailable for family devotions before bed, so we usually do that with supper. When the kids go to bed i spend time with them seperatly. 2 reasons for this 1. because they are 5 years apart and it is hard to find a book within both age groups 2. because i need peace and quiet and they tend to feed off each other and still want to play. With Austin (4) I have the same book that you were using and with Gracie (9) I read out of a bible for girls ages 8 to 12. Then we try and complete a very short workbook page she gets from church every week.

Julie said...

Thanks for asking the question - I have the same one :-)

We always have Kylie pray before bed and then we pray, but as far as having devotions together, we have not done very good at having a specific time to do them. I might have to try the book you just finished - sorry, I know you were looking for ideas, but instead I am just getting ideas off of you ;-)