Thursday, July 17, 2008

Blueberry Pickin'

On Monday all the cousins headed to the blueberry patch and had a ball pickin' blueberries. If you've never picked blueberries before, you should consider it (if they grow in your area of course). It's a lot of fun and a great activity that kids enjoy too. Caedmon and Kaiya both had their own buckets, but for some reason when we were finished their buckets were still empty...even though they picked lots of berries. :) That came back to haunt little miss Kaiya later in the week with a huge mess running down her legs...yeah, I'll stop with the nasty details right there. Did you know that blueberries are at the top of the list for the healthiest food. Because of their dark blue color, they're packed with antioxidant power. By eating them along with other popular berries, you are infusing your body with a forceful weapon that fights against some of the most common and deadliest illnesses known to man. Ok, there's my little healthy tip for the day. I LOVE blueberries! They are probably my favorite fruit along with black raspberries. It was a berry picking day because after the kids had naps, I headed over to the raspberry patch that same day. Yum! There are lots of things you can do with blueberries. I've made jam before, but usually freeze most of them whole in freezer bags. I like to make smoothies with them and use them to make pancakes, muffins, cakes etc. Here are a couple recipes: Blueberry Pancakes

3/4 cup each whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon each baking powder and baking soda
1-1/2 tablespoon sugar
2 egg whites
1-1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup blueberries
In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites, buttermilk, cottage cheese, and vanilla.
Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently stir in blueberries.
Blueberry Pudding Cake
(mom's recipe)

2 cups blueberries
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup flour
3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter or margarine melted
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, toss blueberries with cinnamon and lemon juice. Place in a greased 8 in. square pan. In a bowl, combine flour, 3/4 cup sugar and baking powder. Whisk until smooth. Add milk and melted butter. Spoon over berries. Combine 3/4 cup sugar and cornstarch. Sprinkle over batter. Slowly pour boiling water over all. Bake 45-50 minutes or until cake tests done.

On Tuesday we had a lake day and picnic at Pokagon with all the cousins again.
Even the littlest one joined us. Emmi Klair almost two weeks old
We leave on Saturday for Milwaukee. Kevin has business meetings there and it's very family friendly which is nice. So I need to get packin'. Just wanted to post a few thoughts from an email I received from a friend about a hurried lifestyle. Great reminder for myself!

Unhurried moms take the time to explain to their kids where they are going. Hurried moms tell their children to get in the car and they'll find out soon. I think the children of the unhurried mom learned a bit more about their city, streets and addresses.

Unhurried women take time to chat with a tired sales clerk, and brighten her day. Hurried women rush in and out, glancing at their watches, and tapping their nails on the counter if there's a delay. I think the sales clerk got a touch of Jesus from that unhurried woman.

Unhurried women think about how to show love to others - whether it's picking out the right gift, a hand-written note of encouragement, or a phone call. Hurried women wish they had picked out the right gift, written a note, or made that phone call.

Although Jesus was busy, the Bible never mentions Him being in a hurry. Others around Jesus tried to hurry Him up, but Jesus refused to be rushed. He always made time to hold a child, touch a sick man or talk to a woman whose wrong choices ostracized her from others. Jesus could have hurried – He had more to accomplish in three years than we can imagine accomplishing in a lifetime. But He chose to put people over His schedule.

Ephesians 4:2, “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.” (NIV)

John 14:27, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”(NIV)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been looking for a time all week to go blueberry pickin'! We have a patch over in Mishawalka that is great for getting lots of berries! I can't wait to get them in my freezer too! Looks like you guys had fun. Thanks for the recipes.

Also thanks for posting about the hurried mom. Such a great reminder for these busy summer days. I think I'll print those reminders out and put them in my car. :)

Have a good trip. Hopefully we'll see you when you get home.

Anonymous said...

You almost got me in the mood to pick! I am not a big blueberry lover, but oh, is my hubby! And I would love to try some of your recipes. so we'll have to see if we have some time. Oh, perhaps I should make time and not be so rushed! That was a great reminder!

Kurtis, Aimee - Nadia & Lana said...

I love going blueberry picking! What an awesome way to spend some time in the sun with family and friends! Those are memories your kids will cherish...I know I do with my parents...they would take us apple picking and pumpkin picking too...it seems so small but it seems to go on in my mind as some of the best times! Looks like so much fun...kids having fun in the summer sun! Isn't summer great?!

Cottonista said...

thanks for posting recipes! the cake is delicious.