Monday, December 10, 2007

Chocolate & Vanilla

Four years ago, as we were waiting for our first child to be born, so much excitement filled my heart. His birth mother was Hispanic and his birth father was black so he came out with the most beautiful skin color I had ever laid eyes on. I knew that someday we would probably entertain questions from him about looking different than us and to be honest I worried about that a bit at the time. I think the older he gets, the less I worry about it and actually welcome those questions. We have decided to always be very open with our children and want them to always feel free to ask as many questions as they want about their adoptions. Just the other day, Caedmon looked at me and said "You're vanilla, mom and I'm chocolate". I said "Yeah, you're right". Then he went off playing again like it was no big deal. I'm sure more questions will come and we will answer them as they come. I'm including a couple pictures of Caedmon when he was born. Seems like yesterday...so hard to believe he will be four on the 31st of this month. Caedmon, you have brought so much joy to us. We are privileged to call you our son.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Sherri, I remember that sweet little piece of Chocolate and how yummy he was in that outfit. Caedmon's skin was soooooo soft when he was born. And then that outfit was Soooooo soft. What a great memory awaiting Caedmon's arrival and wondering if we would pick the same boy name. :) Then you called and told me the great news of Caedmon Tait and what a treat to hold that cute little bundle!! Thanks for the jog down memory lane.

krista said...

I love to hear his little observations! He has a lot going on up there.

Guatmama said...

If I had my choice I would pick chocolate and vanilla mixed together anyday! I love this thought....

Kurtis, Aimee - Nadia & Lana said...

Oh, so cute! Brought tears to my eyes. Makes me think of how our children will be...if adopting from El Salvador I'm sure we will have the same skin differences with our little ones to be. So neat to see how children view the world...it's just so simple to them. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing.