Monday, January 18, 2010

Caedmon's Lego Party

The inspiration for the invitation came from here. We celebrated Caedmon's 6th birthday on Saturday with a small party at our house. This boy LOVES Legos, so it wasn't hard to determine a fitting theme. He spends most of his time playing with Legos in his room....before school and as soon as he gets home, I find him here. I love his creativity and seeing what he comes up with.


It was fun searching the internet for ideas for the cake. I decided to make it a day ahead (in my mind thinking just in case something goes wrong). After pulling the cake out of the oven and letting it cool, I proceeded to flip it out of the pan...to make a long story short, it ended up crashing on the floor with cake flying everywhere. Luca had been taking a nap and was awakened by the crash and sound of my scream. I know, I should've taken a picture...with the ant issue we have right now and for my own sanity, I wanted to get it cleaned up as fast as possible. :) After taking a deep breath, cleaning up the mess and attending to my crying baby, I mixed up another cake and pressed forward. Isn't that how life is sometimes...people or circumstances knock us down and we feel discouraged and defeated. God picks up the pieces and can still make something beautiful if we keep pressing on and keep a positive attitude.


I still can't believe I have a six year old. Caedmon is growing up so fast and the older he gets the more I'm learning to let go a little more...and the more I realize that I can't protect him from everything. Now that he is in school everyday, there are many things that happen that I will never see...disappointments, hurts, negative influences and peer pressure. My job now is to be his biggest cheerleader and coach him along this journey of life to become the man God wants him to be. I want to get it right...this parenting thing...although I fail miserably so many times....I want to be the mom that God wants me to be and that Caedmon needs me to be...praying my way through. The inspiration for the birthday cake came from here.Caedmon continues to be the humor of our family. Along with his free-spirited personality comes a soft and sensitive heart that cares for others...if you can use strong and sensitive in the same sentence that is what he is. :) He loves traditions and when we're all together as family doing anything...especially with his cousins. He loves school and is continuing to improve with his reading skills. He is very creative...loves to draw and color and has quite a collection of drawings including turkeys, legos, indians, houses, sledding etc. When I asked him what his favorite subject was, he said Math. He loves food! Favorite food right now is rice and beans and pizza. He loves sports...especially the Colts...and is playing basketball on a team at our church. Happy 6th Birthday to my strong, sensitive, growing boy! I love you!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sherri you are on a blogging roll!!!!!

Happy Birthday Caedmon!!! The cake is amazing. I knew it would be. :) I love the theme!! Isn't it fun to see all the things you can do with starting from one little toy?

Grandma Ruby said...

Wow! I feel as though I've been on a journey. What fun to relive all the special days! Yes, children definitely are a "heritage of the Lord." Thanks for the fun trip! Love you all.

Anonymous said...

oh what a fun birthday party! the flying cake made me laugh... altho..I'm sure it was so NOT funny at the time..! You have such a beautiful family Sherri. Blessings to you this week! =)

Nicole said...

that was so sweet :) Thank you for that sweet encouragement you wrote after dropping the cake!! I couldn't agree more! I can so relate to what you wrote about having a 6 year old and just the whole school thing :) I still struggle daily dropping Dawson off but I know they are in Gods hands! And I love the cake and invites!! You are SO creative girl!!

cheryl said...

Happy belated birthday Caedmon! Sherri, I've been showing off your cake at work. I work w/ a bunch of moms of little kids, so I figured they'd like the idea! It turned out great!

Jessi said...

Sherri...wants again I say... "what a awesome mommy you are." It was fun catching up with your blog. Birthday party looked so fun!! Hope your having a wonderful Winter!!