Friday, May 29, 2009

memorial weekend

Summer is in full swing! I always look forward to Memorial weekend as the "kickoff" to summer. I especially looked forward to getting to the 3-day Memorial weekend this year since the week prior was a bit of a difficult week for me.

We attended the funeral of a young mom of three boys and wife of my husband's coworker. I'll never forget the looks on the faces of those three little boys as they stood beside their mama's casket...it took my breath away.
Death is real and happens to real people...praise God Emily loved the Lord and is with Jesus...healed from all the pain she felt here on this earth. Praise God we all have that hope of an amazing life after death with Jesus if we receive Him as Lord of our lives and choose to live for Him.

We also got a bit of disappointing news that week concerning the most recent failed adoption. A significant amount of money paid by us that we thought would be reimbursed, well...isn't going to be reimbursed after all. Money we had been saving for three and a half years toward our next adoption. Disappointing, yes...but not despairing because we know that God is still in control and has a purpose...and we trust Him.

My dishwasher also stopped working that week.

BUT, GOD IS GOOD!!!

On Friday, we had some good friends over. I took pictures of their three boys(you can see them here) and it was a perfect evening for roasting marshmallows around the campfire.

Coming back from a hike in the woods ooey gooey delicious!
On Saturday we headed south for the Stoll reunion. We stayed at a Bible college for two nights there. We didn't see the kids most of the time while we were there...they had a ball. There were cousins close to their age which was perfect. (thanks for the pictures, Ashley!)
Sam, Dryce and KaiyaI loved reconnecting with family that we don't see very often.
Cory & Leslie
Lots of chatting in circles for the ladies and lots of laughter...high pitched laughter let me tell you. My mom's sisters all have the same laugh...it cracks me up every time when they are together. I LOVE hearing the laughter...it's a testimony in itself of true joy...there are many difficulties and trials represented among this family and being able to laugh and have joy in the midst of that is a testimony of God's amazing grace! I had to steal this picture from my cousin Ashley...she captured the moment so perfectly.One of my favorite traditions is the family church service we have on Sunday morning. Lots of singing and sharing and a little crying too. I've always appreciated the heartfelt love and care expressed through the sharing times. I snapped these pictures of two cuties during the praise and worship time.





Here is my mom with her sister, Rose. Rose celebrated her 68th birthday over the weekend and mom made her this cake.
And here are the rest of the siblings that attended the reunion.

back row: Aunt Darla, Aunt Jean, Uncle Darrell

front row: Aunt Rose, mom, Aunt Ann

Caedmon thought he was big stuff playing basketball with the big boys. =)


Oh, and about the dishwasher...a new one is being delivered today...for free. The old one was under warranty and had lots of issues. Sometimes when things don't go as we would like them to, God has even better surprises and blessings that wouldn't have happened...if we hadn't experienced the disappointment.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sherri, So very sorry about the unreturned savings you put towards your adoption! That just breaks my heart for you both. It just makes me stop and wonder...but your theme rings true....God has a plan. He just hasn't shown you YET.

Your reunion sounds fun...glad you got to go away. :)

Cool ending on the dishwasher story! Awesome!!!!

Nicole said...

hey girl I am so sorry about the savings situation. That is so hard to hear :( You both have such a sweet heart and I KNOW this is all working out for something great! I am glad you had a great memorial day weekend away! It looked like lots of fun! Have a great week girlfriend! I think it is time we all head back to Target for girl talk! :)

Anonymous said...

so sorry about your disappointing week....your last paragraph made me smile, about the dishwasher..=) Reminded me of Eph 3:20 "now to him who is ABLE to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us". I like the 'immeasurably' part. =) I know we both KNOW without a doubt that this is true...I'm with you in this boat...I'll eat cake with you whenever! =) Speaking of...I am TOTALLY tracking down your mom next time I need a chocolate cake, that cake looked amazing!!!

Grandma Ruby said...

So sad for the family who lost their mommy and wife. May Jesus comfort them. Sorry, too, for the lost money and the failed adoptions. What do we say to these things? "If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:32-38 gives some wonderful positives to the believer. So glad the reunion was an encouraging time! We love you!

krista said...

Sherri, Kaiya looks so grown up and pretty in those church pics!